Sher Music An Approach to Comping: The Essentials
Item is available as a recurring order
To automatically re-order this item before you run out, select the recurring order option during checkout.
This new book focuses on how to play (or “comp”) behind a jazz soloist. It is a step-by-step guide to basic comping rhythms, voicings, and progressions — as played by the masters.
Brilliant pianist Jeb Patton has created an insightful and definitive book on comping. The subject is explored from all angles including a thorough study of rhythmic and voicing styles, and it contains plenty of written examples and suggested listening to go along with the text. There really is no other book like it, and I've no doubt that The Essentials will be an indispensable guide to comping for generations of jazz pianists to come!”
— Renee Rosnes, jazz pianist
Topics Covered Include:
- Basic rhythms and voicings for comping.
- 11 note-for-note transcriptions of Bud Powell, Horace Silver, Tadd Dameron, and Barry Harris comping behind the soloist.
- 3 modified transcriptions in the style of Red Garland, Sonny Clark, and Bobby Timmons comping behind the soloist.
- Comping guides, rhythms, and progressions derived from the transcriptions.
- Over 80 comping exercises aimed at getting the concepts under your fingers.
- 2 CD's containing demonstrations and play-along tracks.
- Interviews about the art of comping by Harold Mabern and Renee Rosnes.
- 272 pages, plus 2 CDs, $34 list price.